Part-time Web Development Instructor
Fullstack Academy is the premier software development school located in New York City and Chicago. Y Combinator-backed, our school has garnered the attention of Forbes, TechCrunch, and Business Insider, among others. The reputation of our school is built on the professional success of each and every one of our students. Students have gone on to promising careers at top-tier companies, like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Goldman Sachs. In January 2016, we launched the Grace Hopper Program, which is a need-blind software engineering program for women, which has been extended to our Chicago campus. In 2019, Fullstack Academy was acquired by Zovio, Inc., a leading public Ed Tech company, and has expanded its offerings to include immersive education programs offered in partnership with leading universities.
"Fullstack Academy has been a life-changing experience" is something we hear often and the reason why we come to work everyday. We’re looking for a Web Development Instructor who is excited not only for teaching, but also inspiring, mentoring and encouraging our students.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an Instructor for our partnership program with the University of North Florida (UNF), you will lead instruction for our part-time bootcamp program for students looking to build a professional web development skillset. You’ll lead lectures and support students through exercises designed to embed key web development concepts. You’ll guide students through development of stellar projects. You’ll facilitate a dynamic and collaborative classroom community. You’ll collaborate with our dedicated support and administrative staff to ensure an exceptional experience for each student in our program.
This is a part-time role that that will report to our University Program Director, with a dotted-line to our Head of Academics. Classes will be delivered on the UNF Campus on evenings and Saturdays. The part-time hours are as follows:
- A cohort runs for 26 weeks of instruction, with an average of 12-15 hours per week
- 2 weeknight sessions per week, from 6:30pm to 9:30pm EST, Monday and Wednesday evenings
- 1 weekend session per week, from 9:00am to 1:00pm EST, Saturdays
In this role, you will
- Lead instruction on Web Development and other technology topics, including leading whole-class lectures, activity-based learning workshops, and project-based experiential learning
- Work with students 1-on-1, in pairs and in groups to support their learning and growth in the program
- Create a positive, professional and inclusive learning environment and culture for our students
- Iterate on our curriculum over time based on student achievement data, feedback from students and employer partners, and evolving trends in the industry
You are a great candidate if you have:
- A Master's Degree in Computer Science, or 6+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer
- Experience teaching or mentoring: Working at a bootcamp, TA’ing in college, creating educational content via YouTube, mentoring junior developers, volunteering to teach, or prior experience as a teacher are all great experience
- Exceptional and engaging presentation skills - particularly when it comes to complex technical information
- A desire to work in a fast-moving environment with a high degree of ownership and independence
- A love of software development and a passion for growing the careers of a diverse new generation of software engineering professionals
- The ability and stability to consistently meet a 26-week commitment to our students
You are an exceptional candidate for this role if you also have:
- Experience teaching in an immersive "bootcamp" type of environment