Head of Academics
Fullstack Academy is the premier software development school located in New York City and Chicago. Y Combinator-backed, our school has garnered the attention of Forbes, TechCrunch, and Business Insider, among others. The reputation of our school is built on the professional success of each and every one of our students. Students have gone on to promising careers at top-tier companies, like Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Spotify. In January 2016, we created the Grace Hopper Program, a need-blind software engineering program for women. In 2017, we launched Web Development Fellowship @ Fullstack Academy in partnership with NYC Tech Talent Pipeline, to offer a tuition-free version of our flagship Web Development Immersive to eligible New Yorkers.
"Fullstack Academy has been a life-changing experience" is something we hear often and the reason why we come to work everyday. We are looking for a Head of Academics to be a thoughtful and visionary leader for our exceptional team of instructional staff and to ensure our curriculum remains on the cutting edge of what employers are looking for from engineering candidates.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Academics at Fullstack Academy, you will lead and grow every element of our curriculum, instruction, and student academic achievement. You will develop and continue to evolve a curriculum that is aligned to the most in-demand technologies with premium tech employers. You will be responsible for the mentorship, performance and professional development of our incredible instructional staff. You will work to ensure the successful academic outcomes for students.
This role is based in our New York City campus and reports directly to our CEO.
In this role, you will:
- Continuously assess the curriculum offer making sure it is appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated.
- Plan and and project manage the implementation of curriculum updates, changes and fixes through teams of instructors
- Assess the curriculum’s overall effectiveness in providing an effective learning structure and solution to students
- Recruit, Hire and Onboard new Instructors into the Fullstack Academy faculty
- Organize and lead regular academic meetings and 1x1 “touch base” meetings
- Guide instructors’ professional development through coaching and feedback
- Identify opportunities for formal professional development workshops
- Ensure instructors have the tools and support needed to deliver the best possible results for students
- Inspire, motivate and support the best instructional team in the coding bootcamp industry
- Define and oversee goals on teaching practices, instructional techniques and the overall development of high-quality pedagogy at Fullstack Academy
- Continuously assess education standards and monitor student performance data
- Work with other teams across Fullstack to ensure an exceptional student experience that engages, inspires and prepares students for their careers as engineers
We think you will be a successful candidate if you have:
- 3-5 years of experience managing technical web development instructors or software development teams
- Demonstrated history of successfully supporting the growth and development of junior engineers, both as technologists and
- Experience teaching in an immersive software development education program
- A deep understanding of the technologies used in the web development industry, including the ability to identify industry trends that should be incorporated into our curriculum
- Excellent communications skills
- The ability to work cross-functionally in ensure that Fullstack maintains an exceptional learning environment for students and faculty
- The ability to analyze and interpret student achievement data and design effective interventions to address any issues
- A strong sense of empathy for the experience of Fullstack students and faculty
We think you will be an exceptional candidate if you have:
- Advanced training or coursework in education (BA/MA in Education)
- A strategic understanding of tech education and the immersive bootcamp space
“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” - Jackie Robinson
Work where your daily goal is to have a significant impact on the lives of others - students who travel from all over the world to attend a top-rated program that you will be responsible for building and growing. We have an open, friendly, and fun startup culture. You will work with colleagues who have founded companies and worked at Google, Yahoo!, and Gilt Groupe, among others. Our salaries and benefits are competitive, coupled with generous paid vacation and stock options.
Last, but not least, you will get an immense sense of pride and satisfaction every seven weeks, when our students graduate.